This section displays the latest news articles that were published.
Grilling safety tips ahead of Memorial Day weekend
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
UNITED STATES -- Many who plan on staying home this weekend will be firing up their grills. There's always the potential for a hazardous situation if you don't know what you're doing. That's why fire officials are offering their advice on grill safety.
Fire officials say it's important to always use your grill in a well-ventilated area, away from buildings or combustibles. Make sure your grill is stable, and that it can't be tipped over. And don't forget to secure any loose clothing, so it doesn't come loose over the grill and catch fire.
Never grill inside your garage or on an enclosed porch. Even though it seems like common sense, many people get sick from carbon monoxide each year because they try to grill inside.
Fire officials say even grilling on an open porch can be hazardous.
"We don't recommend, we don't want you on the back porch because you do cause fires. A lot of times, depending on your grill, you've got, if it's a charcoal grill, you've got, charcoal dust falling out of the grill and onto the wooden floors of the porches, and nobody's paying attention. They sit there, they smolder, you go in the house, you think the grilling's all over. Four hours later: your back porch is on fire," explain Alvin Lanier, Albany Fire Department.
Lanier also says you shouldn't try and move a hot or lit grill, and of course, never leave a lit grill unattended.