The Car Coach: Putting the cost of gas into perspective
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
Around the world, gasoline prices generally are much, much higher than in the United States. This is the case in most European countries, whereas in oil-rich nations like Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela, gasoline is cheap. In Venezuela, gasoline sells at around 12 cents a gallon. It’s cheaper than water. In Saudi Arabia, it’s about 45 cents per gallon. In Qatar, gasoline prices recently increased 25 percent to a whopping 88 cents per gallon.
Here are examples of the price of gasoline per gallon in other nations:
- Spain: $7.60
- Italy: $8.79
- France: $9.24
- Germany: $9.07
- Portugal: $9.13
- Czech Republic: $8.21
- Denmark: $9.69
- The Netherlands: $9.58
Think a gallon of gas is expensive? Did you know gas compared to other liquids is still cheaper, gallon-to-gallon? Here’s a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump and put things in perspective
- Brand Bleach: $2.56 a gallon
- Soda: $3.84 a gallon
- Diet Snapple (16 oz. $1.29): $10.32 per gallon
- Starbucks Coffee Grande: $7 per gallon
- Lipton Iced Tea (16 oz. $1.19): $9.52 per gallon
- Gatorade (20 oz. $1.59): $10.17 / gallon
- Ocean Spray (16 oz. $1.25): $10 / gallon
- Brake fluid (12 oz. $3.15): $33.60 / gallon
- Vick’s Nyquil (6 oz. $8.35): $178.13 per gallon
- White-Out (7 oz. $1.39): $25.42 per gallon
- Scope Mouthwash (1.5 oz. $0.99): $84.48 per gallon
- Name-brand cough syrup: $128 / gallon
- Champagne: $755 a gallon
- Nail polish: $ 1,024 a gallon.
And this is the REAL KICKER...
- Bottled water $21.19 per gallon.
So the next time you’re at the pump, be glad your car doesn’t run on Scope, White-Out or Nyquil.