Crews determine cause of Newburgh apartment fire
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
NEWBURGH, N.Y. -- Fire crews believe a mattress too close to a space heater is the cause of an apartment fire in Newburgh. The fire happened on Renwick Street shortly after noon on Friday.
Crews say the fire started on the second floor of the apartment, but they were able to contain the fire quickly.
"This building is far from totaled. There is fire damage on the second floor that is going to require restoration work. The top floor has smoke damage. The first floor has water damage. Depending how fast the insurance company and contractors move, probably could be back in a couple weeks," said Michael Vatter, City of Newburgh Fire Chief.
The fire chief says no one was hurt and the cause of the fire is not suspicious.